Conor McGregor Is Ready To Agree To A Trilogy Fight With Nate Diaz

Conor McGregor is undoubtably one of the most famous names in sport today, despite his highly publicized defeat against Floyd Mayweather in August.

The 29-year-old MMA star, is certainly no stranger to the spotlight. In fact, as the reigning UFC Lightweight Champion, he craves it. So, it is no surprise that the Irish cagefighter-turned-boxer is reportedly preparing himself for his next high-profile showdown.

This time, McGregor is set to return to the UFC octagon to challenge Nate Diaz, one more time. ‘The trilogy fight’ as it is being dubbed, is one of the most highly anticipated fights of the year, especially following the McGregor/Mayweather boxing match.

Aware of this, both sides have regularly hinted that they will be going at it one more time. But, this latest hint seems to confirm it really could be happening…

According to The Independent, McGregor is very close to signing a deal to take on Nate Diaz on December 30. The rumor intensified in the wake of McGregor’s defeat to Mayweather, when his manager, Audie Attar, told MMAJunkie that “[McGregor] wants the trilogy”.

McGregor, who made a reported $100 million from his fight with Mayweather, was remarkably considered a winner. Explaining this to MMAJunkie, Attar said:

“Everyone is like, ‘oh he’s going to retire – he made so much money’. He’s ambitious. He’s super ambitious, and he loves to fight. He loves to compete and he’s a superb professional athlete. So, there’s much more Conor McGregor that everybody will see, and we’ll see what’s next.”

McGregor and Diaz have a infamous history as rivals. In March last year, the two met at the UFC 196 in Las Vegas, with Diaz reigning victorious by submission with 48 seconds left in the second round.

Five months later, the duo came together again for the fight of the year, at UFC 202, again in Las Vegas. This time McGregor won the fight, and the highest fight purse in history.

Therefore, with one win each, it is expected that McGregor and Diaz will chose to fight one more time to expose the stronger sportsman, thus initiating the  rubber match that has been dubbed, the ‘Trilogy fight’.

McGregor hasn’t fought in the UFC since becoming a two-weight world champion in November 2016 following a knockout of lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

With his focus predominantly on his foray into boxing and the birth of his first child, McGregor has been forced to neglect the sport that made him. But, could this suggest he is set for a comeback…

McGregor’s absence from UFC could soon be over. Speaking after “The Money Fight”, McGregor acknowledged the potential of one last bout with Diaz, “I have a trilogy fight in waiting also, which would be a big fight”, he said.

Although, McGregor has some stipulations if the fight does go ahead:

“I faced him at 170lbs, he beat me, I rematched him at 170lbs, I beat him. Now I’m the 155lbs champion, now if he wants that fight, he must come down — that’s a fair trade. I didn’t ask for the rematch at a lower weight, I asked for it at the exact same weight.

I thought that was a fair play move on my behalf and I came in and I won. So now I won that and I won the 155lbs title after that, so if he wants the fight he has to make the 155lbs limit.”

Meanwhile, UFC president Dana White has put the rumours of the fight firmly to bed when he tweeted that there is absolutely no truth in a fight between McGregor and Diaz scheduled for December. “Not true AT ALL”, he tweeted, breaking the hearts of fans across the globe who have been excitedly waiting for a Christmas they’d never forget.

Although, whilst White has confirmed the fight won’t be happening this year. There is no denying that it could be on the cards for next year. This was bolstered by McGregor’s coach, John Kavanagh earlier this year, who said:

“I’ve said for a long time that the Nate Diaz trilogy fight at lightweight is what I’d personally like to see next. That still needs to be put to bed.

It’s probably a little late in the day to realistically expect another fight before the end of the year, because even after this hiatus is over, a lot goes into the planning and execution of a training camp at our level. I find it hard to envisage another fight in 2017.

Then again, knowing Conor, I could get a text message tonight telling me otherwise. He’s difficult to predict, which is one of the many reasons why he’s so fascinating.”

So, for now it has been confirmed that no fight is scheduled. But, one certainly could be on the horizon in the imminent future. McGregor’s camp want it. Diaz wants it. The fans want it. So, sit tight and get ready to place your bets.

More Stories From Game On Report